Sunday 14 April 2013

Slow Cooker Pork Creole

 Easy Pork Creole in the slow cooker
I'm not claiming this to be an authentic Louisiana Creole dish but it is a family friendly way of injecting a bit of spice into a meal. The amount of chilli in this dish shouldn't blow the heads off the kids but should make it taste a bit more interesting than just tomato sauce. The vegetables I used in this dish was what I had available in me in my fridge and freezer at the time. Feel free to substitute or add what you have to hand. For example instead of the sweetcorn use peas or frozen mixed vegetables. Strips of pepper would work as well but add them towards the end of cooking (when I add the sweetcorn) otherwise it may end up as mush.

As this recipe uses pork, tomatoes and sweetcorn I will be putting it forward for this month's Recipes for Life challenge which is hosted by Vanesther at Bangers and Mash. Vanesther is helping to compile a recipe book in aid of her local charity Swallow.


This recipe uses an inexpensive cut of pork I have used before in my Pork, leek and apple casserole dish and I was able to get a second pack reduced.

This is quite a different taste but still uses cheap and store cupboard ingredients. As such I will be entering it for another Credit Crunch Munch, which is jointed hosted by Helen at Fuss Free Flavours and this month's host, Camilla, at Fab Food 4 All.
Credit Crunch Munch
Serves 4

Ingredients

450g-500g Pork shoulder, diced
1 Large onion or 2 small onions, chopped
4 Carrots, chopped
1 Tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp (15ml) Tomato purée
¼-½ tsp (1.25ml-2.5ml) Chilli powder
1 Garlic clove, crushed
100g Frozen sweetcorn

To serve: boiled rice

Method

1. Pre-heat the slow cooker to High.
2. Prepare the vegetables.
3. Put all the ingredients except the sweetcorn into the slow cooker. Stir well

4. Cook on High for 4-6 hours or 6-8 hours on Low.
5. While you prepare the rice add the sweetcorn to the slow cooker mixture. You can turn off the slow cooker at this point but keep the lid on.
6. Serve once the rice is cooked.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments. If you have any tips, tricks or tweaks please pass them on!